These forums have now been archived and will be removed Monday, 16th April, 2018. We now have new and improved forums located here to discuss everything Elvanto.

Skill Sets of Church People - how to manage

Having recently formed a new Property Management group in church, we were looking to collect a list of skills of the church people.  Long ago, we created a Custom Field called "Skill" (tucked away where nobody can see it for now) which is a free form field.

We are a church with several hundred people on this list (big enough not to know all the skills we have under our roof).

We have a Department (and a Group) called Property Maintenance.

Options I thought about were:
1. creating the basic property maintenance skill sets as volunteer roles (eg Builder, Labourer / Laborer, Plumber, Tiler) and allowing people to self-assign
2. giving people access to the free form Custom Field "Skills" where they can put in anything they want (which could include spiritual and other gifts / skills)
3. just asking around and allowing the Property Manager only to populate these fields - which will not be seen by the church people as a whole.

Happy to learn from any pioneers who have ventured into this space previously.
Doug Long
Diamond Valley Baptist Church
Plenty, Melbourne

1 Comment

Hey Doug,

I haven't done this yet, per say... but I've done something similar.

With the world of food sensitivities, allergies, etc. I wanted a way to track this so that when we host an event, we know what to plan for.

I created a custom field that had a list of allergies/sensitivities/restrictions and created a space for additional ones that people could write in. This is available in the My Profile section, so people can edit it as required.

I also attach these fields (show up as People Custom Fields) into registration forms for events where there is food, which catches people who we may not have that data for.

I guess I'd recommend approach number 2 for this personally. Hope it helps!